By Carol Dreibelbis
Check out this TED talk on food waste by Tristram Stuart, author of Waste: Uncovering the Global Food Scandal, founder of Feeding the 5000, and author of Chapter 9 in State of the World 2011, “Post-Harvest Losses: A Neglected Field.” Stuart discusses shocking data on food waste, such as the fact that most European and American countries stock up to two times as much food in stores and restaurants as is nutritionally required to feed their populations; the surplus is either lost as waste or eaten in excess. Stuart explains how reducing food waste could be one of the easiest ways to reduce pressure on the environment.
Click here to watch Stuart’s talk.
To purchase State of the World 2011: Innovations that Nourish the Planet please click HERE.
Carol Dreibelbis is a research intern with the Nourishing the Planet project.
- Reducing global food waste
- UN Food Agency Urges Companies and Organizations to Join Global Food Waste Initiative
- Love Food, Hate Waste: UK Campaign Promotes Understanding and Preventing Food Waste
- Nourishing the Planet in USA Today: In a world of abundance, food waste is a crime
- Radio Australia talks food waste with Nourishing the Planet’s Danielle Nierenberg
- Simple Lifestyle Changes can Reduce Food Waste
- BCFN webinar: “Food waste: how to reduce it from farming to consumption”
- People’s Summit: Food Waste and Post Harvest Losses