By Matt Styslinger
GroundTruth is the new official blog of the Pesticide Action Network (PAN) North America, which showcases perspectives from the global PAN community with an interactive format for public participation.
GroundTruth bloggers challenge the proliferation of pesticides worldwide and promote basic rights to health and environmental integrity, as well as ecological approaches in agriculture. They report on and decode the latest pesticide science, offer timely analysis, and share news and opportunities for action. PAN says the blog is intended to spark solutions-oriented dialogue and link readers to resources and opportunities to go deeper.
In the month since its inception, GroundTruth has already posted an array of informative and thought provoking blogs. Examples include:
- A discussion on the mounting evidence that insecticide exposure has contributed to the drastic decline of honeybee populations.
- A challenge to recent claims that bed bugs have staged a resurgence in America due to the ban on dichlorodiphenyltrichloroethane (DDT).
- An account of an international seminar on GMOs in Rio de Janeiro.
“The timing for the GroundTruth conversation couldn’t be more urgent,” says PAN North America’s Vice-chairperson, Kathryn Gilje. “On average we are exposed to 10 to 13 pesticides in our food and drink every day.” The situation is even worse for the world’s poor farmers with inadequate knowledge and equipment for safe pesticide use.
Matt Styslinger is a research intern with the Nourishing the Planet project.
- Kenyan Professor Promotes Indigenous Food to Solve Climate Change Food Crisis
- Restoring Biodiversity to Improve Food Security
- Understanding Consumers’ Responses to Genetic Engineering
- Innovation of the Week: Improving Farmer Livelihoods and Wildlife Conservation
- Gleanings from Des Moines: Farmer Testimonials of Sustainable Rice Intensification
- Interview with Phil Bereano: Part II
- Finding Common Ground to Improve Livelihoods and Conserve Wildlife
- Interview with Phil Bereano: Part I