We have a whole new crop of interns joining the Nourishing the Planet team this fall. Today, meet Kristen Thiel.
Kristen is a recent graduate from Indiana University Northwest with a Masters in Public Administration where she studied public policy evaluation and statistical methodologies for public policy. While there, she designed and completed a statistical study of the global coffee market, identifying ways to increase efficiency and greater farmer sustainability.
For her undergraduate degree, Kristen attended the University of Maryland at College Park where she received a Bachelor of Science in environmental science and policy with a concentration in economics. At Maryland, she studied natural resource and agricultural policy, as well as the economics of developing countries. Her experience includes a summer abroad program in Costa Rica where she had the opportunity to study the tropical ecology and social issues of the region.
Kristen knew she wanted to devote her professional career to global agricultural and environmental policies during her service as a Peace Corps volunteer in Panama. She helped her community develop sustainable agricultural practices and better access to market.
Kristen is very excited to join the Nourishing the Planet team, and hopes to undertake research and learn more about global food chains, especially those that involve tropical agricultural goods, such as coffee. She also hopes to gain knowledge about agroforestry systems and their economic benefits.
For more information on how to apply for an internship with Nourishing the Planet, click here.
- Meet the Nourishing the Planet Team: Charlotte Litjens
- Meet the Nourishing the Planet Team: Katie Spoden
- Meet the Nourishing the Planet Team: Sophie Wenzlau
- Meet the Nourishing the Planet Team: Emilie Schnarr
- Meet the Nourishing the Planet Team: Molly Redfield
- Meet the Nourishing the Planet Team: Holly Tassi
- Meet the Nourishing the Planet Team: Lee Davies
- Meet the Nourishing the Planet Team: Victoria Russo