We have a whole new crop of interns joining the Nourishing the Planet team this fall. Today, meet Devon Ericksen.
Devon graduated from the University of Virginia in 2012, with a Bachelor’s Degree in Anthropology and a minor in Global Sustainability. Studying anthropology at UVa stimulated her interest in the relationship between culture and food, as well as the role of women in agriculture.
While at UVa she worked with local organizations on projects to reduce the energy use of low-income homes in Charlottesville. She also captained the school’s club ultimate Frisbee team for two years, travelling to tournaments across the country and discovering great food that cities such as Boulder, Colorado, and Austin, Texas have to offer.
Devon’s love of sustainable food was developed by her parents. Her dad taught her the value of healthy and delicious cooking, and her mom’s backyard garden in Ashland, Virginia produces raspberries, peppers, cantaloupes, corn, and much more. She enjoys learning about urban farming, and recently began volunteering with Renew Richmond, an organization that creates community gardens in Richmond, VA.
Devon also enjoys photojournalism and visual storytelling, and once spent a summer as a photographer for the Richmond Times-Dispatch. She hopes to apply her creative skills to the Nourishing the Planet project to spread the word about sustainable agriculture innovations and the brilliant people behind them.
Her hobbies include hiking, cooking, and making her own sunscreen.
For more information on how to apply for an internship with Nourishing the Planet, click here.
- Meet the Nourishing the Planet Team: Sarah Alvarez
- Meet the Nourishing the Planet Team: Molly Redfield
- Meet the Nourishing the Planet Team: Caitlin Aylward
- Meet the Nourishing the Planet Team: Olivia Arnow
- Meet the Nourishing the Planet Team: Carly Chaapel
- Meet the Nourishing the Planet Team: Seyyada Burney
- Meet the Nourishing the Planet Team: Charlotte Litjens
- Meet the Nourishing the Planet Team: Brandon Kenney