Check out this recent article, “Celebrate the Farmer!” by Mark Bittman on The New York Times’ Opinionator blog. In the article, Bittman argues that to make fresh, healthy food available to all consumers, civil society and policymakers must address issues core to the agricultural system.
In essence, Bittman writes, “We need to encourage both new and established farms to grow a variety of fruits and vegetables, to raise animals in sensible ways and, using a combination of modern and time-tested techniques, treat those animals well and use their products wisely.”
Read the full article here.
To purchase State of the World 2011: Innovations that Nourish the Planet please click HERE.
- Tapping Into Innovative Practices to Feed the World: An Interview with Mark Muller
- What Works: From One Farmer to Another
- Innovation of the Week: USDA’s Know Your Farmer, Know Your Food Compass
- Fred Kirschenmann: Farmer, Educator, Philosopher
- Celebrate Terra Madre Day Today
- Innovation of the Week: Improving Farmer Livelihoods and Wildlife Conservation
- Farmer Cooperative Promotes Education, Nutrition, and Prosperity in Nicaraguan Communities
- Gleanings from Des Moines: Farmer Testimonials of Sustainable Rice Intensification