By Arielle Golden
On May 23rd, 2012 at 5 PM CET [11 AM EST], The Barilla Center for Food & Nutrition (BCFN) will hold a live webinar discussing food waste.
More than 1.3 billion tons of food is wasted every year worldwide. At the same time more than a billion people do not have enough food. Food waste happens at every step in the food chain and and impacts food security, the economy, and the environment.
Speakers in the webinar include Andrea Segrè, Chairman of Last Minute Market and Dean of the Faculty of Agriculture of the University of Bologna; Tristram Stuart, writer and activist, winner of the international environmental award, the Sophie Prize 2011, for his fight against food waste, and author of State of the World 2011: Innovations that Nourish the Planet; and Jean Schwab, head of the National Food Recovery Initiative run by the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).
Visit www.barillacfn.com to access the webinar and other food waste materials from BCFN.
Arielle Golden is a research intern with the Nourishing the Planet project.
- Designing a Plan to Reduce Food Waste
- Simple Lifestyle Changes can Reduce Food Waste
- Love Food, Hate Waste: UK Campaign Promotes Understanding and Preventing Food Waste
- FAO report: 1.3 billion tons of food produced for human consumption lost or wasted each year
- American Wasteland: Jonathan Bloom on Why Food Waste Deserves our Attention
- What Works: Reducing Food Waste
- Reducing Food Waste in the Event of An Erupting Volcano and Other Farming Hazards
- What a waste: why now is the time to address our food waste problem